Monday, February 16, 2015

The Great Hair Exodus

Okay, so everyone knows that during pregnancy and postpartum a woman's hormones are going crazy! Up, down, cycling around and around...and this causes all sorts of body changes (not to mention to help sustain the pregnancy and grow a person, then help you feed said person).  I was pretty aware of the hormone changes and their potential effect on my body during pregnancy.  Some of the effects I didn't see until after birth and some a realized before...like the linea nigra, so didn't notice that until after my belly deflated (and I actively looked for that because the possibility weirded me out)!  

But one of the biggest indicators of these hormone shifts has been my hair.  Thick and lush during pregnancy, plenty to pull up and style, I mean a serious amount of hair.  Now, it commonly seems like all of my hair is trying to abandon ship at the same time! I could probably save the falling hair and make a wig for when I am completely bald!!  No, really, all exaggeration aside, I knew this would happen, but there is no preparing yourself for those first few sleep deprived showers that end with a huge wad of hair in the drain! (And the continued loss even weeks out!)

Otherwise, the hormone shifts are pretty amazing...I mean, you grow a person on the front end and then everything jumps into gear to sustain and provide nutrients for this tiny person.  Some of my own body reactions have surprised me and made me laugh to an extent.

1 comment:

  1. "not to mention to help sustain the pregnancy and grow a person, then help you feed said person" haha yes most of the time the rest of the world does not consider what it takes to grow & feed such a little person!

    ReplyDelete